Referee assaulted by players at Futsal tournament

first_imgThe GT Beer ‘Keep Ya Five Alive’ Championship ended abruptly on Sunday at the National Gymnasium after referee Errol ‘Pumpkin’ Squires was assaulted by players from the North East La Penitence outfit. The attack occurred following the conclusion of the quarterfinal between Sparta Boss and North East La Penitence, which ended 5-2 in favor of the former.Squires issued a red card to Kelvin Moore after being verbally abused at the end of the match, only to be assaulted by the individual and several of his teammates, who were also relatives.Spectators quickly came to the rescue of the referee to end the skirmish with the veteran official suffering several bruises to the face. Lawmen enforcement was also on hand to bring an end to the incident. The episode forced the final quarterfinal between Bent Street and Tiger Bay to be abandoned. Kevin Adonis, coordinator of the event, revealed that the incident will be forwarded to the Guyana Football Federation (GFF) for review.Prior to the abrupt end, Gold is Money edged LA Ballers 3-2. Jermin Junior tallied a double in the 20th and 28th minute while Randolph Wagner added a goal in the 37th minute.For the losers, Leon Richardson and Jaleel Hamilton found the back of the net in the 15th and 24th minute each. Also, Future Stars defeated Sophia-A 4-2. Jamal Cozier, Julian Bamfield, Denzil Ross and Rondel Bowman netted in the third, eighth, 13th and 27th minute respectively.For the losers Simeon Moore bagged a double in the 21st and 26th minute. The event is scheduled to resume on Thursday.Complete Results  Game-1Future Stars-4 vs Sophia-A-2Future Scorers Jamal Cozier-3rdJulian Bamfield-8thDenzil Ross-13thRondel Bowman-27th Sophia-A ScorerSimeon Moore-21st and 26thGame-2 LA Ballers-2 vs Gold is Money-3Gold is Money ScorersJermin Junior-20th and 28th Randolph Wagner-37thLA ScorersLeon Richardson-15th Jaleel Hamilton-24thGame-3Sparta Boss-5 vs North East La Penitence-2 Game-4Bent Street vs Tiger BayAbandonedlast_img