Team Canada’s Dave ‘Fast and Furious’ Leblond and his technical team have said that there will be no boxing match between him and Jamaican Michael ‘Wasp’ Gardener in the Wray and Nephew Contender Series tomorrow night. This is because Gardener weighed 151lbs at today’s weigh-in ahead of tomorrow’s bout. On Saturday, Team Canada promoter Tyler Buxton told The Gleaner that his boxers have said they will not allow their opponents to continue showing up for fights overweight and compete while surrendering what is considered a small fraction of their match purse for the night. With the competition being contested in the welterweight division, fighters cannot be over 147lbs, however, it is understood that at yesterday’s pre-weigh-in, Gardener registered 154lbs on the scale, and after losing three pounds since, he could not get rid of the further four pounds needed within the two hours he was given after weighing this afternoon. Gardener’s trainer, Castro Brown, confirmed that the fighter had been overweight, but told The Gleaner that the fight was still on as negotiations took place and the issue was settled. However, Buxton refuted these claims, saying no such agreement had been reached. Contender promoter Mark Kenny declined to comment on the matter when contacted.
Last in the agenda will be the election of the Chairman and four board members, the appointment of auditors for the forthcoming year as well as the appointment of additional members of the appeals council pursuant to Section 11 of the KRU constitution.Incumbent Chairman Richard Omwela as well as Directors Ian Mugambi, Rajinder Sembi and Oscar Mango are up for re-election having served a first two year term while Paula Lanco retires after serving two consecutive terms.Sembi has announced that he will be running for the chairmanship post where he will be looking to oust incumbent Omwela who has served for two years and is up for re-election.Sembi has been serving in the development committee that is chaired by KRU vice-chairman Thomas Opiyo and maintains he will continue focusing on the development even when elected.Apart from Omwela, Sembi will be facing former KRU vice-chairman Sasha Mutai who has also shown interest in the position.-Additional report from Raga House-0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Kenya Rugby Union boss Richard Omwela will be seeking re-election. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluNAIROBI, Kenya, Feb 27 – The Kenya Rugby Union (KRU) Annual General Meeting will take place March 22 at the RFUEA Ground.Key on the day’s agenda will be receipt and consideration of the KRU Board Report for the past year, receipt and consideration of the balance sheet and statement of accounts for the past year.
1 Paris Saint-Germain have launched a move for sought-after Ivory Coast star Serge Aurier, according to sources in France.Three Premier League clubs have been in pursuit of the 21-year-old, with QPR and Swansea City currently chasing his signature, but Arsenal have cooled their interest as they close in on Newcastle’s Mathieu Debuchy.PSG are also keen on the full-back, who scored six goals and set up six more in Ligue 1 last term, and have submitted an offer to his current club Toulouse.The French champions are keen to get the business done as quickly as possible and want a response from Toulouse before next Wednesday.Aurier played for his national side at the World Cup and set up two goals in their 2-1 win over Japan in the group stage. Serge Aurier [right] in action for Ivory Coast at the World Cup
1 Claude Puel insists Southampton can resist whatever cash is waved in front of them for Virgil van Dijk next month.Manchester City are reportedly weighing up an eye-watering £50million bid for the Dutch defender when the transfer window opens.That would represent a huge profit on the £13m Saints paid Celtic for Van Dijk in September 2015, and the south-coast club have had form for selling their star players in recent years.But Puel says Southampton have no need to cash in on 25-year-old Van Dijk, who signed a new six-year contract at St Mary’s in May.“I think, for example, for Virgil the price will be the same in two or three years,” said the Saints boss.“He can stay for two or three years with us. He’s an important player for the team.“Also, along with Jose Fonte and Steven Davis, he is a captain of the team. He has a good personality, strong character, quality, and of course he will stay with us.”City have struggled defensively this season, keeping just three clean sheets in 17 games, and City chief Pep Guardiola is keen to strengthen his back four to enhance their title challenge.But Puel also has ambitions towards the top of the Premier League table with Saints currently seventh and eyeing another tilt at the Europa League at the very least.“Of course we would like another season with the possibility to play those games,” he added.“It’s very interesting and different from the Premier League. We were unlucky with our European campaign this season and want to find other possibilities to play those games, and the best possibility is via the Premier League.“It’s a good challenge for us. We know now all the opponents in the Premier League and if we can play against these teams at a good level then we have the chance to stay ambitious in the second half of the season.” Virgil van Dijk has been linked with a number of Europe’s biggest clubs
Treatment used in the program, such as sweating out toxins, has been questioned by critics, who charge that the facility is a front to lure people into the Church of Scientology. The treatment program began about 40 years ago and is based on the principles of a book by L. Ron Hubbard, the late founder of the Church of Scientology.When asked of those criticisms, Carr called them incorrect and irrelevant. He said there was no religious indoctrination in the program.“It’s hard enough work to get someone off heroin or alcohol without getting into the religious issues,” he said.Word of the alcohol and drug rehabilitation center planned on Bouquet Canyon Road had worried some Leona Valley residents, who sent a letter to the county Planning Commission last winter with concerns the facility would disrupt the rural community.Some of those residents arrived at Tuesday’s hearing to testify. Among them was Jan Powell, a Leona Valley Town Council member. She helped organize a community meeting at which residents could meet with Narconon representatives and learn about the proposed center.Powell said she was open-minded at first and wanted to know more about Narconon. Initially representatives told her the organization was not connected with the Church of Scientology, but later they told her there was a relationship. That’s when she changed her mind.“It’s not that they’re associated with Scientology,” she said. “It’s the fact that they were deceitful to me.”Vance Kirkpatrick, a former sheriff’s deputy, also came to the hearing. The Leona Valley resident said the location for the treatment center is too remote for quick responses from police or firefighters in case of emergencies.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! LOS ANGELES – A public hearing on a planned drug and alcohol treatment center with ties to the Church of Scientology was postponed Tuesday over concerns about the center’s rural location in upper Bouquet Canyon.A proposal to establish a Narconon center came before the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors and drew a crowd of about 500. Concerns about traffic, fire and safety, and flood control remanded plans back to the Regional Planning Commission, which had approved the project in March. Tuesday’s hearing was called by Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich, who received complaints after the commission’s approval.There is no date set yet for its return to the board. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE11 theater productions to see in Southern California this week, Dec. 27-Jan. 2Narconon International aims to open a 66-bed facility nearly Leona Valley on 30.4 acres formerly used for a boarding school.Narconon President Clark Carr said that if the center had been approved Tuesday, work would have begun immediately. Renovations are expected to take at least six months.Yet Carr supported the county’s efforts toward improvements.“We’re here for the long haul,” Carr said.The facility is designed to treat up to 66 adults, whose average stay would be three to four months. Narconon plans no new buildings on the land, which borders the Angeles National Forest, but will add parking.
LEAH GALLEN advanced to the quarter-finals of the European Youth Championships in Sofia, Bulgaria.The Raphoe welter overcame Germany’s Annemarie Schierle in the last 16 of the 69kgs classification.A 3-2 split decision was in favour of Gallen when the sums were totted in the Sofia Sports Hall. A bronze medallist last year at the European Juniors in Russia, the five-times Irish champion is now bidding for another continental nugget.Gallen is one of 339 boxers aiming for one of the 20 titles up for grabs.Schierle was on top in the opening stanza, but Gallen came good in the final two verses to take a win that moves her into the last eight – and the Raphoe ABC star is now one win from a medal.Before her departure for Bulgaria, Gallen said: “I wasn’t happy with the medal I got last year and I want to bring back a better medal this time.” Gallen will fight in the quarter-finals on Saturday.https://soundcloud.com/donegalsportstalk/leah-gallen-ahead-of-2019-european-youth-championshipsLeah Gallen moves into European Youth quarter-finals was last modified: September 5th, 2019 by Chris McNultyShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:2019 European Youth ChampionshipsBulgariaLeah GallenRaphoe ABCSofia
Thursday’s Statehood Day honored the theme of “Hoosier Bicentennial Moments,” with a tour of the Statehouse, as well as a program with remarks from government officials, displays of original copies of Indiana’s 1816 and 1851 constitutions and the reading of Abner’s winning essay.“‘Bicentennial moments’ surround me,” Abner read. “Growing up in Harrison County, home to Corydon and the first state capitol, I see history every day. The entire town of Corydon is historical and then there are treasures from the early years that still exist.”Sponsored by the Indiana Statehouse Tour Office and Indiana State Library, the Statehood Day essay contest for fourth-grade students is held annually on Dec. 11 to celebrate Indiana becoming the nation’s nineteenth state. More information can be found at www.in.gov/library/statehood.htm. State Sen. Erin Houchin (R-Salem) congratulates Palmyra fourth-grader Olivia Abner for winning first place in this year’s Statehood Day essay contest.Abner represented Morgan Elementary School as she read her essay to hundreds of students and educators who gathered at the Statehouse in Indianapolis on Thursday. Judges chose her essay from more than 1,000 submitted by fourth-grade students from across Indiana.SEN. HOUCHIN HONORS 2014 STATEHOOD DAY ESSAY WINNER: State Sen. Erin Houchin (right) congratulates Palmyra fourth-grader Olivia Abner (left) for winning first place in this year’s Statehood Day essay contest. Judges chose Abner’s essay from more than 1,000 submitted by fourth-grade students from across Indiana. The Statehood Day essay contest is held annually on Dec. 11 to celebrate Indiana becoming the nation’s nineteenth state.“Seeing young Hoosiers like Olivia take pride in our state is heart-warming,” Houchin said. “Statehood Day is a time to celebrate what makes us Hoosiers. Olivia’s essay brings us back to the beginning and allows us to reflect on the history of this great state. ”
Today Secretary of State Connie Lawson released the annual list of top investor threats and urged investors to use caution when approached with unsolicited investments, especially those involving promissory notes, oil and gas deals and real estate investment opportunities, including non-traded real estate investment trusts.“Education and information are an investor’s best defense against investment fraud,” Secretary Lawson said. The top threats to investors were determined by surveying members of the North American Securities Administrators Association, of which the Secretary of State’s office is a member, to identify the five most problematic products, practices or schemes. The following were cited most often:Unregistered Products/Unlicensed Salesmen: The offer of securities by an individual without a valid securities license should be a red alert for investors. Con artists also try to bypass stringent state registration requirements to pitch unregistered investments with a promise of “limited or no risk” and high returns.Promissory Notes: In an environment of low interest rates, the promise of high-interest-bearing promissory notes may be tempting to investors, especially seniors and others living on a fixed income. Promissory notes generally are used by companies to raise capital. Legitimate promissory notes are marketed almost exclusively to sophisticated or corporate investors with the resources to research thoroughly the companies issuing the notes and to determine whether the issuers have the capacity to pay the promised interest and principal. Most promissory notes must be registered as securities with the SEC and the states in which they are sold. Average investors should be cautious about offers of promissory notes with a duration of nine months or less, which in some circumstances do not require registration. Short-term notes that appear to be exempt from securities registration have been the source of most – but not all – of the fraudulent activity involving promissory notes identified by regulators.Oil/Gas Investments: Many oil and gas investment opportunities, while involving varying degrees of risks to the investor, are legitimate in their marketing and responsible in their operations. However, as in many other investment opportunities, it is not unusual for unscrupulous promoters to attempt to take advantage of investors by engaging in fraudulent practices. Fraudulent oil and gas deals frequently are structured with the limited partnership (or other legal entity) in one state, the operation and physical presence of the field in a second state, and the offerings made to prospective investors in states other than the initial two states. As a result, there is less chance of an investor dropping by a well site or a nonexistent company headquarters. Such a structure also makes it difficult for authorities and victims to identify and expose the fraud.Real estate-related Investments: Troublesome real estate-related investments identified by securities regulators included non-traded real estate investment trusts (REITs), timeshare resales, and brokered mortgage notes. These types of products often carry higher risk. For example, non-traded REITs are sold directly to investors and are not traded on exchanges (as are conventional REITs). Non-traded REITS can be risky and have limited liquidity, which may make them unsuitable for certain investors.Ponzi Schemes: The premise is simple: pay early investors with money raised from later investors. The only people certain to make money are the promoters who set the Ponzi in motion.“Investors should always be wary of unsolicited financial advice or investment opportunities,” Indiana Securities Commissioner Alex Glass said.Before making any decisions with your money, ask questions, make sure you understand the risks, and contact the Secretary of State’s office for detailed background information about those who sell securities or give investment advice, as well as about the products being offered.The Secretary of State’s office can be reached at 317-232-6682 or through its website at in.gov/sos.
By Paul LeckerSports ReporterMARSHFIELD — Lexi Dupee and Gracia Sondok had goals to lift the Marshfield girls hockey team to a 2-1 victory over Tomahawk in a Great Northern Conference matchup Friday night at the Marshfield Youth Ice Arena.The Tigers even their record in the GNC at 2-2 (2-3 overall), while Tomahawk falls to 2-2 overall and in the conference.Dupee scored on assists from Nell Eichten and Morgan Larson 11:34 into the first period to put Marshfield up 1-0.Sandok’s goal came off an assist from Eichten 5:10 into the second period.Erika Vallier scored on the power play for the Hatchets with 7:34 remaining in the game, but they could not get the tying goal.Alexis Straughan had 28 saves in net for the Tigers.(Hub City Times Sports Reporter Paul Lecker is also the publisher of MarshfieldAreaSports.com.)Tigers 2, Hatchets 1Tomahawk 0 0 1 – 1Marshfield 1 1 0 – 2First period: 1. M, Lexi Dupee (Nell Eichten, Morgan Larson), 11:34.Second period: 2. M, Gracia Sandok (Eichten), 5:10.Third period: 3. T, Erika Vallier (Lauren Bembinster), pp., 9:26.Saves: T, Erin Sparks 19; M, Alexis Straughan 28.Records: Tomahawk 2-2 overall and Great Northern Conference; Marshfield 2-3, 2-2 GNC.
- 1 of 18
- <span aria-current="page" class="page-numbers current">1</span>
- <a class="page-numbers" href="http://www.aupair-usa.cn/jaylan/page/2">2</a>
- <a class="page-numbers" href="http://www.aupair-usa.cn/jaylan/page/3">3</a>
- <span class="page-numbers dots">…</span>
- <a class="page-numbers" href="http://www.aupair-usa.cn/jaylan/page/18">18</a>
- <a class="next page-numbers" href="http://www.aupair-usa.cn/jaylan/page/2">Next »</a>